Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Young Americans

Today was a bit different, being the first day of classes. Also ridiculously long, since we went new places and did new things today, too. First, up early for classes. First was Japanese Oral Intensive, which I was incredibly worried about. I had taken the placement exam last week, and the advisor told me then that I should move to the next level down. I asked the teacher whether I should attend today's class because of this, and she said I should attend the first class either way, just to see how it goes. And it went really well. We had to do self-introductions in Japanese, and it was really comforting to see that everyone was about my level, even my neighbor who I had thought was much more advanced. Turns out she just has more practice actually using the language with Japanese people, but not all the grammar and such down, so we're about the same. We had another placement test specifically for that class, made by that instructor, and I passed it =). So I'm staying in the class, and we'll see how it goes. I'll probably have to work harder, but I'm willing to do it to make my Japanese better. Next was Japan Today, which seems okay. History/current events classes aren't usually my thing, but I think it'll work. And the book is optional, so even better!

After class, I got my ID and tag for a commuter pass, though I still need to go and actually buy the pass. Then I found out there was a group going to Roppongi to Softbank to get prepaid cell phones and try to get the commuter pass, so I went with them. Roppongi is definitely different. All lit up and so many foreigners! I never thought I'd say it, but I was actually surprised to see so many English-speaking people in one place that wasn't our study abroad program. We went to the Softbank, which was pretty awesome-looking, but was sold out of phones. The guy there recommended we go to Donki down the street, so we did. Omg wtf Donki. Donki needs its own paragraph.

Donki is the most confusing store in existence, if only in that it is the biggest collection of any completely odd items you could think of. Videogames and CDs next to the *ahem* more inappropriate items (though the Susan Boyle CD's placement was rather amusing), plushies of every sort next to incense and candles, perfume next to the GIANT FISH TANK, and it made my head hurt. So much to take in at once. But what really made my head hurt was the acquiring-a-cellphone mess. The process apparently was supposed to take an hour per person, and we had four people. They didn't need our gaijin cards there, which was an advantage, but argh. I ordered the cheapest possible, since I don't much care for fanciness, but everyone else got the flip phones. I didn't quite like the design of the model ones, but they also don't have to worry about butt-dialing anyone. After everything, they were able to cut it down to two hours, so we went downstairs and out to get a break from Donki's mindblowingness.

We went to the sushi place next door for food, since it looked really good. It was really fancy and such, but I had no experience with sushi. I ordered a crab miso soup and squid-leg-tenpura. What I got was really crazy. The miso actually had the whole crab in it! (Pictures to come! I actually took some!) And it was one of those hairy-looking ones, but it was good and made the miso taste extra-good. The "squid legs" were actually octopus legs, so they were SO CHEWY. I wouldn't recommend getting it as tenpura, at least. They were all about 6 inches long, and impossible to bite into small pieces. Tasty, but strange. We also got some matcha ice cream (green tea flavored ice cream) to finish off dinner. It was good, bitter like matcha, but smooth and creamy and slightly sweet =).

We then headed back to Donki, where the phones were ready, but we were met with a bit of a rude surprise. Mine was the only one that came with a charger. The woman there suggested we all share mine, but that wasn't going to happen. We're all in separate rooms and all, and that would be weird to figure out. So two of the others bought cords, and the other has a universal cord, so we got it settled. Unfortunately, we needed to go back to the Softbank store to get the email and texting set up, since that's what we'll mostly be using. Calls are 9 yen per 6 seconds, so about 90 yen per minute, and texting/email is just 300 yen per month. Also, my phone has its own email, so those that know me and want to email me on it, it's all included =).

Such a long trek around campus and to and from Roppongi, though, so I'm wiped. I'm going to get some sleep. Goodnight, ya'll~

2 comments:

  1. I was actually wondering about the cellphone part. What's your phone email or number? I wonder if I can text yours...I have been able to text Japanese phones before, but have had issues with a couple... I can't wait to see the giant crab *-* *drools a little*...maybe I'll try getting miso today, too...although it probably won't be as kickass as a giant fuckin crab, butttt... Did you remember to hum the donki theme while in the store? lol jk <333 I'll be waiting for the next update

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa... Sai... that is all overwhelming even to READ about. I can't imagine how it must be for you. Keep it up, this is exciting.

    ReplyDelete