Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lazy Day, Sunday Afternoon

Like to put your feet up, watch TV. Actually not. I still need to go ask the dorm manager for a tv, though there's not really much to watch, apparently. Also, points to anyone who gets the reference.

As for today, not much. The rest of almost everyone dressed up and went to Harajuku to enjoy all the cosplayers and people there. I got to stay home and Skype with my parents, clean a bit, and make a few self-discoveries. I never really realized before how much it bothers me having to start all over and make new friends. Like, when I was joining the club at college, it was a bit different. I didn't really have any friends that were close to me then, and I had only opportunities. Here, I've left behind everything dear to me, and have to feel my way through the already-forming cliques and circles. It's just tiring and stressful to have to read between all those social lines and try to find a dependable person or group that I can relate to. I was kind of doubting myself, despite having the courage to get naked with a bunch of the other girls, but I did realize that I have at least one friend I can depend on. And that's enough.

On the plus side, today was kind of a bonding day. Spent the day talking and meeting my friend's boyfriend on Skype, and just relaxing. It was refreshing. Seeing everything is nice, but I only have so much stamina, and we have four whole months. We went to the 100 yen shop one more time to get what we were missing (a ziploc container for my portion of the rice, since we're splitting 10 kilos/22 pounds of rice. That was a heavy bag to lug home), and I found cute wrapping paper that I'm actually going to use to decorate my walls and put my name on my door, since my room has the color scheme of a hospital.

Then to Jusco, I got three bentos, one for dinner tonight (a mix of teriyaki fish, fried chicken, and a panko-breaded something. I think it was octopus or some type of fish?), one for breakfast (salmon and egg over rice), and one for tomorrow (fried chicken with rice. I think it's karaage, but who knows? xD). After 7 PM, bentos are 20% off at Jusco, so it was a good deal. I have to find out when exactly they mark them down to 50%. But then also got some onions that I forgot, more nikuman (I had some for lunch. Delicious!), garlic, apple juice, and nori (toasted dried seaweed) for making onigiri rice balls for lunch. Tomorrow will be my first foray into the world of cooking, though my materials are limited. And making my first bento. I'll take pictures =).

Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. Haven't really gotten a chance to be outside when it isn't dark outside and we're not busy. Tomorrow we're going to try and walk the route to class and see if we remember it and can memorize it, and I'll have time to take pictures and such then. We're probably going to stop at the Kamata Don Quixote/Donki and see if it's open and what they have. Kasu already has the Donki theme song stuck in my head xD. Maybe even a trip down to the local shrine is in order, seeing as it's Coming of Age day tomorrow. We'll see what goes =)

2 comments:

  1. You will thank me later ^^ When you go into Donki, start humming the theme to yourself lol! So how are you handling with your Japanese? Getting by ok so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many points do I get - Moody Blues - Great Birthday Present - On the deal about social relationships, we are glad you have one friend and stick with her. You had nobody before you left, so your up One and more will come. Be Happy, You Deserve it. Lisa, you are a wonderful, loving, caring, absolutely beautiful person. And, I am not just saying that because I'm your Mother. Anybody that is your friend has a sincere friend that they can count on which is priceless. What is happening now with some of these other people is going to change over the time you are there and just keep an open mind if they want to try to open a friendship with you. Thank you for taking the time to talk to us on Skype instead of going with the other people - we really appreciate your thinking of us and especially my birthday. Things will get better and when you get to classes more people will be there to meet that share your interests and you can include your new friend too which she probably would appreciate too. You will do fine and we are very proud of your courage to be doing this and it will be over before you know it. So ENJOY yourself and don't let other people take away any of your Good Time There. LOVE MOM + DAD

    ReplyDelete