Thursday, January 7, 2010

4 AM and All's Well

So yes, I'm here and alive, if only barely. Longest trip ever. The airplane was really awesome, like walking into a reeeeeally long auditorium, and I watched UP about 5 times in various languages. The only problem I really had with the airline was the lack of food. Two hours in, we got a small lunch, and then nothing for the next six and a half hours. Which, even then, was only a bean bun. We did get another meal an hour or so after that, so it was okay, but yesterday was a lot of me running around on nothing. I will say, though, that though they don't serve it often, the food on the plane was decent. I got shrimp curry for lunch, which came with soybean potato salad and lotus root (ick lotus root >_<). Dinner was pasta with a salad and grapefruit and yogurt. It wasn't too bad.

After we had gotten to the airport and gotten all my stuff and gotten through customs, it had been another four hours without anything to eat, and the bus ticket (for a two-hour bus ride) I got wasn't for another hour and a half, so I found a shop in the airport and made my first purchase :D. Granted, it was a clearanced tempura bento and a Pocari Sweat, but still, it was good. And SO MUCH CHEAPER than an American Airport. I got more than I could eat for 550 yen (about $5.50), compared to the teeny sandwich I had to get in New York priced at a whopping $8.50.

I must also say, I was incredibly surprised at my experience at customs. I had marked on my sheet that I had drugs, since I have my meds, and they just asked if it was medicine and let me pass. I was thinking they'd look through my stuff, but they didn't at all. I was actually more surprised that I was searched more after I was through customs and already almost out the door. I got 'pulled over' by the police there twice, so they could check my passport and make sure I wasn't doing anything I shouldn't be. Then again, I guess I stick out like a sore thumb here, too :b.

The bus ride was pretty cool. They were very organized and polite, and my only problem with it was the wait, though I know that's to be expected. The one that was right after I arrived was already sold out, so I had to get the later one. This was good though! I was sitting on the bus waiting to get to the hotel, and a girl sat next to me who happened to be in the same program, in the same dorm! So now I've met a couple of people, between that bus ride and the little bit I've seen people around here so far (which isn't too much. I did literally pass out after I updated. Though I guess that's also why I'm up at 4 AM). The taxi ride was the best, since we got to see the neighborhood and really start to get the feel of Tokyo. No tentacles spotted yet, but I've seen some pretty questionable DVD-selling gorillas. Couldn't get pics yet because it was nighttime by the time we arrived. Sorry, guys.

Today is orientation things and getting a feel for campus and the neighborhood. Hopefully it will be a good time and I will learn a lot. It's a good thing I'm up so early, since we all have to meet at about 6:50 for the orientation. *excited* :3

That's all for now though. I might be back on later today to tell you more =). See you around!

2 comments:

  1. Seems like an interesting adventure already. What kind of program is this? Study abroad?

    -Lilox

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I have a feeling I will be liking this blog a lot. Finally someone that explains in detail (not just "in japan. class then sleep.")! Can't wait for the next entry! Also, I'll be sending you a message on facebook for whenever you get a minute! *hugs* happy you arrived in one piece and we miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete