Monday, January 11, 2010

Still Alive

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS. I think the music-title theme is sticking, though this one's pretty obvious to all my gamer friends out there :b. As for today, much better. I actually went downstairs to use the unrestricted internet (my Steam program that lets me play games online with people back home wasn't working in my room), and there was a big group down there watching a movie, a British one made by the same guy that did Shaun of the Dead. I was actually surprised that it was a big group of girls I'd never met before, other than one of them. They were all really nice and funny and open, and they invited me to go to Akihabara with them today. I would've gone, if I hadn't had other plans, and if I actually already knew the way to class. Akihabara is like the technological section of Tokyo, all electronics and gadgets and a lot of anime-type stuff, too, so I'm really hoping to go sometime just to see everything.

As for me, today was actually a productive day, though I am kind of kicking myself for accidentally leaving my SD card in my computer. I wasn't able to take pictures, but I'll try and get a bunch tomorrow when I leave early for class. Today, I went with my new friend Keisha to Tamachi to figure out where on campus everything is, since they don't really give the tour well. The tour was a lot of backtracking and a little overwhelming and confusing, so we wanted to explore at our own pace. We found out also that the Gotanda line to campus is 10 yen cheaper, and also connects to the Yamanote line directly, the train that makes a big circuit around Tokyo. We decided to take this route as our commute route, since the commuter pass makes any ride within our set commute route unlimited. With that, we could take the train to Gotanda and then catch the train to Shinjuku and Shibuya and such, and only pay for half the ride, since the first is within our commute route. Pretty sweet, ne? Unfortunately, we'd only taken the route via Kamata, so we had to figure out where to go when we transferred and all. Gotanda seems a lot busier than Kamata, though Kamata does have the Donki (which we didn't get to, since we used the Gotanda way).

We wandered around campus a little, got a little lost, found some places that have cheap food that are en route to class (one woman working at one of them saw me checking out the prices on the menu and came running out at us with takeout menus xD), and got a good feel for where we need to be. This is really comforting, coming from Pittsburgh. Now we can wander a bit out of where we're used to and find new places to see and shop and eat. Not to mention we can actually get to class on our own now =). We saw a couple of girls walking around in their fancy traditional kimono today, too, since it's Coming of Age Day, the national holiday to celebrate those people who turned 20 this year. Sort of like a Sweet Sixteen, but nationwide. It was really cool. We didn't really stay long,though, since we'd bought food and weren't planning on eating out. Plus, we still had to figure our way back through Gotanda, which we got a bit lost on again. I had to ask both going and coming back exactly where we were supposed to go, and we got on the Kamata train to come back. I thought I'd messed us up, but apparently Ontakesan is 4 or 5 stops before Kamata, so it was alright.

Anyway, we found out that the "bag of sugar" that we bought the other day was actually salt (^^;;), so we stopped at Jusco again since it was right by the station and bought a proper bag of sugar. I had to stop another customer in the aisle with us and ask her if it was actually sugar xD. We also got cooking oil, seeing as the communal cooking oil container was teeeeeny and already half-used. Keisha wanted to check out cheese since our neighbor had bought some, and we ran into a woman handing out samples. Keisha, who had tried a sample last time we were there and didn't like the tofu in it, wasn't up for trying another one because she didn't know what it was, but the woman giving samples said it was milk. I hadn't tried the sample before and wanted to this time, so I did. I convinced Keisha to try some, too, since she loves milk. I was talking a bit with the sample lady, too. She was really nice and outgoing, and she gave us fliers, telling us to make sure to practice our Japanese well. It was a fun time =). I found blueberry tea (agh my weakness D:), but we passed on the cheese. Sooooo expensive.

We also went to take a look at the local shrine, but we didn't go in because we had our bags, and also because we need to brush up on our shrine etiquette first. There's a slightly complicated process to visiting a shrine, but it's important to be respectful and follow tradition when visiting them. I'm going to go visit sometime this week for real and give thanks for the (hopefully) good first week of classes.

And then to my final triumph of the night: oyakodon, which is a Japanese dish that is onions and chicken cooked in dashi stock (I had to substitute water. I can't find the granulated dashi D:) and sugar, soy sauce, mirin, and sake (the last two I had to omit as well. Darn rules), and then eggs are lightly beaten and poured over top. Since we bought sugar, I was able to take the recipe from Youtube's Cooking With Dog (a cooking show hosted by a dog) and modify it a little bit. I was kinda worried, since it was my first stab at Japanese cooking. Unfortunately, everyone else had the idea of cooking tonight, so there were chicken parts and curry and apple crumb and other dishes being cooked all at once, and the kitchen was packed. The rice cookers were busy, so I had to start the rest first, which made the rest overcook a bit, but that's alright. The eggs in oyakodon are supposed to stay mostly raw and runny, but I didn't want that, so it all turned out okay. And it was deliiiiicious. And beautifuuuuuul. And I'm now known among everyone else as "that person that makes tasty-looking food" :D. Happy happy. I'm going to have to try to make Japanese-style curry soon, too. I can use my carrots :3. I also left the pan uncleaned so it kept the oyakodon flavor and used it to make soy sauce onigiri rice balls for lunch tomorrow. I had a little rice left over, so I made a small one for my new friend Mica, and she said it was nomful. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

In other news, first day of class tomorrow, and so much to do! *run run run* See you guys later~

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear you are doing well and having a good time. Uncle Fran was saying that you can't access the internet games because you are in another area and the company who has them only unlocks you for a certain area. He said to e-mail the company about where you are and ask them to unlock the system for your location. He said it would be the same as if you took a DVD and it would not work because there is something in the DVD that would stop you playing it there. Technology, who knows. Anyway, try it. Have a wonderful first day of class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please share the official recipies? Like, fully? I'd like to try to cook the things you end up making, too. =D
    It sounds like you're having a TON of fun and are involved in many adventures. ^_^

    Oh, and about the games - as kathleen said, it may be a region issue.

    ReplyDelete