Friday, January 8, 2010

A Day of Rest

Aaaagh my legs. So much walking. Since it was the tour day, we did a lot more walking than we normally would, and so my legs really hurt. But it was a really productive orientation day! First, we all got up early and met in the common room for dorm orientation and learned all about policy and what to do and not to do around the neighborhood. I'm kinda sad we're not allowed cooking sake and mirin in the dorms, but I guess we'll survive :/. The internet in our rooms is restricted, so I won't be able to play Left 4 Dead or anything unless I move to the lounge, which I guess is okay seeing as I'd probably be playing during quiet hours, anyhow.

So anyway, we left the dorm and found our way to the Jusco, which is sort of like an everything store. It has a grocery on the 1st floor, and then electronics and bikes and everything else on the other floors. Pretty handy. And they have discounts on Tuesdays and Saturdays woo! =) Ontakesan station was next, where we learned how to get tickets and take the train. We stopped at our switchover station, Kamata, and got a quick tour of that area. I'm really tempted to visit the Don Quixote there, which is sort of like a Jusco without the grocery. I didn't get to take pictures, since it was an orientation tour, not really enough stopping time to see and take everything in. We did learn where our Ward Office is, though, where we need to register for the national insurance and our Alien Registration cards.

Then, back to the train station and onto the JR for Tamachi, where we got off and walked to Mita Hall, then to the Annex, and back to Azabu Hall. After that, we were let loose for lunch. We learned the hard way that most places don't open till 11 AM >_<. Most of us hadn't eaten breakfast yet, either, since no one knew where anything around was. But we eventually settled on a ramen shop, and I got Shoyu Ramen, or Soy Sauce Ramen. Simple, but delicious. We also had two vegans and a jew with us for lunch, so we also had to figure out how to ask for no meat/fish/eggs/pork when ordering. It's really surprising how complicated the little things can be.

We then returned to Azabu for the presentation portion of the orientation, where we learned a lot. Like how you're not allowed to borrow bikes or pick up and use abandoned ones. They're sort of like how cars are in the US. Your car is registered to you, and if you're using someone else's without permission, you're in big trouble.

After all the speeches and everything, we headed back to the station and back home, which was a bit more interesting, trying to memorize all the walking and all among a giant throng of people (it was rush hour). I'm actually kinda proud of myself. There weren't many people on the train to Ontakesan when we first got on, but when it got more crowded, I gave up my seat for an older woman, and she thanked me :3. I was incredibly surprised, however, to realize how loud we Americans are. We have completely different concepts of indoor and outdoor voices than the Japanese. Our normal indoor voices are what people normally use outside, and even quieter on trains and such. As such, it really astounded me how quiet Tokyo is. Being in Pittsburgh has made me so used to noise, with all the sirens and people, except at night when it's almost silent. This was that quiet, but during rush hour. Everyone was in the streets, but it was so quiet. I'm probably going to come back a much quieter person :b.

After we got off the train, we found our way back to the dorm and waited for other people to get their things ready to go to the 7-11. I got to sit in the massage chair~ =). It was kinda weird when the first button I pushed started to massage my butt, but hey. It was nice :b. We then went to the 7-11 about 10 minutes' walk away. I got two bento (premade meals), one for dinner, and then one to have for breakfast. They were both fairly cheap, and I had no idea what either of them was xD. The dinner one I got turned out to be breaded chicken and rice with egg sprinkled on top of half and something else I couldn't identify sprinkled on the other half. Still good. I haven't yet tried the other one, but it'll be soon. Also, I saved a bunch of money on juice. I got a liter of apple juice for 103 yen, compared to the 150 you pay for teeny bottles in the vending machines. I should've bought orange juice, seeing as I'm sick again, probably from a combination of the flight and the time change and the walking and everything. I'm starting to feel better now, though, so I guess that's a good sign.

We came back to the dorm and had our food, and I promptly passed out when I got up to my room and hit the bed. Now it is time for another day to discover more things to share with youse =)

To my commentor Lilox, yes, this is the blog about my spring semester study abroad in Tokyo, Japan. Glad to hear you enjoy it =)

2 comments:

  1. If I ever get to Japan...I have a strong want to go to a Japanese 7-11 immediately o.o ...anything that Yoshiki promotes must be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning or good night?? I have no idea what time it would be where you are compared to us on the east coast of the U.S.
    I have really enjoyed reading this blog daily. It sounds so interesting and exciting. But not scary at all, so that is cool. Look forward to a pic to actually see you standing in that mob of people! Have you made good friends with anyone person yet?? I am sure there has to be a variety of folks.
    Stay safe and look forward to reading the next blog.
    Love, Aunt Amanda

    ReplyDelete